Task 1 Methods and Principles of Sound Design and Production

First Draft


Name: Ben Ankers

RESEARCHED DEFINITION (provide short internet researched definition and URL link)
DESCRIBE THE RELEVANCE OF THE RESEARCHED TERM TO YOUR OWN PRODUCTION PRACTICE?
SOUND DESIGN METHODOLOGY
Foley Artistry
Foley Artistry is the reproduction of everyday sounds that are used in Movies and other forms of media.
This would be used in our games for basic sound effects of different things such as footsteps or a something falling.
Sound Libraries
Sound Libraries are comprised of different sounds that are used to form different type of media from music to video game sound effects.
We would comprise our own sound libraries so we can choose which sound effect that would be used in our productions
SOUND FILE FORMATS
Uncompressed
Uncompressed audio files are larger than compressed files and the files of this type are .wav
Uncompressed files would be used before we compressed them so we can make edits to it.
.wav
.wav is an uncompressed audio file which store both lossless and loss.
.wav would be used for out audio files so we can edit them
.aiff
.aiff is the Mac OS version of .wav as they o the same thing.
If I were on a mac I would use this format for editing audio samples
.au
.au is the standard audio file for Sun, Unix and Java
I would use this format for Sun, Unix and Java so I can edit audio files.
.smp
.smp files are used to send short midi files to others
I would send others audio samples with this file type so they can edit it themselves.
Lossy Compression
Lossy compression is used to reduce the sizes of flies to make them easier to transport.
I would use this to reduce the file size for audio files so they are easier to transport.
.mp3
.mp3 is the most common audio file used for storage or streaming.
I would use .mp3 to store audio files for later listening.
AUDIO LIMITATIONS
Sound Processor Unit (SPU)
SPU’s facilitates inputs and outputs of sound signals, consumer models have large sampling latency.
I would be using this anytime that I am on a computer as its essential for the use of sound.
Digital Sound Processor (DSP)
A DSP is similar to an SPU but it have very little to no delay.
I would be using this anytime that I am on a computer as its essential for the use of sound.
Random Access Memory (RAM)
RAM is memory that can be accessed randomly and most programmes use this as its memory source.
RAM is used by the software that I use for editing and creating music/sound
Mono Audio
Mono audio is feature that makes sure all sound is heard even if you are hard of hearing. And it uses a single audio track
For basic sounds and music I would use a mono audio so it uses less space and so it only uses a single audio track
Stereo Audio
Stereo Audio divides the sounds between 2 channels which means only some sound can be heard from one track.
For more complex sounds/music I would use stereo to make use of 2 audio channel
Surround Sound
Surround Sound is where sound is projected around the listener so the listener feels like they are in the middle of the action.
I could use this to create a sense of the consumer being in the middle of the action
Direct Audio (Pulse Code Modulation – PCM)
PCM is a digital representation on a dialog input/output.
I would use PCM to measure the inputs and outputs of my sounds
AUDIO RECORDING SYSTEMS
Analogue
Signals that are represented by a continuous variable.
I would have to
Digital Mini Disc
Magneto-Optical Disc based system used to store 74-80 minutes of digitised audio
I could use the digital mini disk to store a decent amount of digitised audio.
Compact Disc (CD)
Compact Disc is a digital optical disk data storage format which originally held around 80mins of sound, it was later adapted for the storage of different media such as video.
I could use the Compact disk as a way to store audio files physically.
Digital Audio Tape (DAT)
DAT are similar to a compact cassette tape and has the ability to record at a higher or lower sample rate the CS’s.
If I wanted lower/higher sampling rate I would use this instead of CD’s.
MIDI
Musical Instrument Digital Interface is used to hook together music instruments in software.
I would use these in my audio production for musical instruments and so that I can hook together multiple MIDI items
Software Sequencers
A Software Sequencer is an application which allows for recording, playing and editing music.
I would be using this so I can playback, record and edit my audio samples.
Software Plug-ins
A Plug-In is a software component that adds a specific ability to some existing software.
I would be using plugins for my music instruments so I can create my own sounds/music
MIDI Keyboard Instruments
MIDI Keyboard Instruments allow for inputs through usb for the MIDI interface.
I could use one of these so it’s easier to input instruments sounds.
AUDIO SAMPLING
File Size Constraints  - Bit-depth
Bit Depth is the amount of bits of information in a single sample, the higher the bit rate the larger the file size.
I would have to balance the amount of bits per sample so the file size isn’t too big.
File Size Constraints  - Sample Rate
The Sample Rate is the number of times an analogue signal is measured per second
I would have to use the correct sample rate for the correct storage device as some have different sample rates.

Final Draft

Name: Ben Ankers

RESEARCHED DEFINITION (provide short internet researched definition and URL link)
DESCRIBE THE RELEVANCE OF THE RESEARCHED TERM TO YOUR OWN PRODUCTION PRACTICE?
SOUND DESIGN METHODOLOGY
Foley Artistry
‘Foley Artistry is the reproduction of everyday sounds that are used in Movies and other forms of media’
‘A sound effects technique for synchronous effects or live effects’

This would be used in our games for basic sound effects of different things such as footsteps or a something falling. These are used for crisp and clean sounds without any other sounds in the background.
Sound Libraries
‘Sound Libraries are comprised of different sounds that are used to form different type of media from music to video game sound effects’.
‘A collection of sounds stored on file (for example on CDs, DVDs, or as digital audio files)’

We would comprise our own sound libraries so we can choose which sound effect that would be used in our productions This is used for easy access to many sound effects and it makes the whole process of picking out sounds easier.
SOUND FILE FORMATS
Uncompressed
‘Uncompressed audio files are larger than compressed files and the files of this type are .wav.’
‘Uncompressed audio is audio without any compression applied to it’

Uncompressed files would be used before we compressed them so we can make edits to it. Although they are larger than compressed files and they can be exact copies of a copied sound/audio
.wav
‘.wav is an uncompressed audio file which store both lossless and loss.’
‘Uncompressed WAV files are large, so file sharing of WAV files over the Internet is uncommon’
.wav would be used for out audio files so we can edit them. This wouldn’t be used for file sharing as it is too large, it would be tuned into another file type to reduce its size
.aiff
‘.aiff is the Mac OS version of .wav as they do the same thing.’
‘Unlike the better-known lossy MP3 format, AIFF is uncompressed’
‘Standard audio file format used by Apple. It could be considered the Apple equivalent of wav.’

If I were on a mac I would use this format for editing audio samples. This was created by Apple for Macintosh computers.
.au
‘.au is the standard audio file for Sun, Unix and Java’
‘The AU file format is also known as the Sparc-audio or u-law format.’
I would use this format for Sun, Unix and Java so I can edit audio files. These would be essential as these are the standard for sun, Unix and java.
.smp
‘.smp files are used to send short midi files to others’
‘While on the PC, you can edit several parameters including loop points, pitch, time compression, normalize, sample rate, etc.’
I would send others audio samples with this file type so they can edit it themselves. This could be used to share sounds and help others out with their projects when we work in groups.
Lossy Compression
‘Lossy compression is used to reduce the sizes of flies to make them easier to transport.’
‘Lossy file compression results in lost data and quality from the original version. Lossy compression is typically associated with image files, such as JPEGs, but can also be used for audio files, like MP3s’
I would use this to reduce the file size for audio files so they are easier to transport.
Although if wanted the highest quality possible I wouldn’t use these formats. Lossy Compression can work very well but larger files that would be compressed to miniscule sizes would lose out on some on the original quality.
.mp3
‘.mp3 is the most common audio file used for storage or streaming.’
‘As well as a de facto standard of digital audio compression for the transfer and playback of music on most digital audio players.’
I would use .mp3 to store audio files for later listening. This is the format I would use for media devices if I need to transport something or if I need to use a normal media device player.
AUDIO LIMITATIONS
Sound Processor Unit (SPU)
‘SPU’s facilitates inputs and outputs of sound signals, consumer models have large sampling latency.’
‘Most sound cards use a digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which converts recorded or generated digital data into an analog format’
I would be using this anytime that I am on a computer as its essential for the use of sound. These are essential for computers to output sounds and they are resent in every modern computer
Digital Sound Processor (DSP)
‘A DSP is similar to an SPU but it have very little to no delay.’
‘DSP works by clarifying, or standardizing, the levels or states of a digital signal.’
I would be using this anytime that I am on a computer as its essential for the use of sound. These are essential for computers to output sounds and they are resent in every modern computer
Random Access Memory (RAM)
‘RAM is memory that can be accessed randomly and most programmes use this as its memory source.’
‘RAM (random access memory) is the place in a computer where the operating system, application programs, and data in current use are kept so that they can be quickly reached by the computer's processor.’
RAM is used by the software that I use for editing and creating music/sound. It’s also used by much other software, not just the sound software. I am always using RAM when on a computer as it helps run all most if not all programs.
Mono Audio
‘Mono audio is feature that makes sure all sound is heard even if you are hard of hearing. And it uses a single audio track’
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/monophonic_sound.html ‘Mono or monophonic describes a system where all the audio signals are mixed together and routed through a single audio channel’
For basic sounds and music I would use a mono audio so it uses less space and so it only uses a single audio track. Also I would use mono in 2D games as there is rarely a sense of depth needed for 2d games unlike 3D games.
Stereo Audio
‘Stereo Audio divides the sounds between 2 channels which mean only some sound can be heard from one track.’
‘True stereophonic sound systems have two independent audio signal channels, and the signals that are reproduced have a specific level and phase relationship to each other’
For more complex sounds/music I would use stereo to make use of 2 audio channel
In 3D games his would be used to enhance the atmosphere. Although it could be used in the cinematics of game.
Surround Sound
‘Surround Sound is where sound is projected around the listener so the listener feels like they are in the middle of the action.’
‘Surround sound is a technique for enriching the sound reproduction quality of an audio source with additional audio channels from speakers that surround the listener
I could use this to create a sense of the consumer being in the middle of the action
Surround sound would be used to frighten people in horror games. Also it could give the player a great sense of atmosphere.
Direct Audio (Pulse Code Modulation – PCM)
‘PCM is a digital representation on a dialog input/output.’
‘It is the standard form of digital audio in computers’
I would use PCM to measure the inputs and outputs of my sounds. And I would use this information to help develop my sounds, also its essential as it’s the standard form of digital audio for computers
AUDIO RECORDING SYSTEMS
Analogue
‘Signals that are represented by a continuous variable.’
‘Analog recording methods store signals as a continuous signal in or on the media’
I would have to measure the continuous variable.
Digital Mini Disc
‘Magneto-Optical Disc based system used to store 74-80 minutes of digitised audio’
‘The digitally encoded audio signal on a Minidisc has traditionally been data-compressed using the ATRAC format’
I could use the digital mini disk to store a decent amount of digitised audio. For easy physical storage that I would have on hand. These are easy to store as they are small and they are a good way to back up any files that are important.
Compact Disc (CD)
‘Compact Disc is a digital optical disk data storage format which originally held around 80mins of sound, it was later adapted for the storage of different media such as video.’
‘The data on a CD is stored as small notches on the disc and is read by a laser from an optical drive’
I could use the Compact disk as a way to store audio files physically. And I could store lots of CD’s for ease of storage and use. Backups of important files would be stored on CD’s as they can be kept physically so in case of a power outage the files are safe.
Digital Audio Tape (DAT)
‘DAT are similar to a compact cassette tape and has the ability to record at a higher or lower sample rate the CS’s.’
‘Digital inputs and outputs on professional DAT decks allow the user to transfer recordings from the DAT tape to an audio workstation for precise editing’
If I wanted lower/higher sampling rate I would use this instead of CD’s. And these would be easily storable and it would use less memory on the hard drive although these wouldn’t be used for video game music as the higher/lower sample rate isn’t needed.
MIDI
‘Musical Instrument Digital Interface is used to hook together music instruments in software.’
A single MIDI link can carry up to sixteen channels of information, each of which can be routed to a separate device.’
I would use these in my audio production for musical instruments and so that I can hook together multiple MIDI items. Or I could create my own sounds and music. In my own projects I have created my own music samples and I have also modified some pre-existing sound effects from a sound library. I used MIDI to use Virtual Instruments to create my own sound effects for my Tasks. I have also put together different musical instrument samples and hooked them together using MIDI.
Software Sequencers
‘A Software Sequencer is an application which allows for recording, playing and editing music.’
‘called Trackers, which became popular in the 1980s and 1990s as simple sequencers for creating computer game music, and are yet popular in the demo-scene and chiptunes’
I would be using this so I can playback, record and edit my audio samples. This would be essential or any sound/music that I would create. I have used sequencers to loop my created sound samples and music to help me edit them and fine tune them. Also these were used in old games for their music which is relevant to what we are doing.
Software Plug-ins
‘A Plug-In is a software component that adds a specific ability to some existing software.’
‘Software plug-in is an add-on for a program that adds functionality to it.’

I would be using plugins for my music instruments so I can create my own sounds/music. Because it would be easier than using pre made sounds and I would have more flexibility to create new sounds. I have used Virtual Instrument plugins in my projects to create sound samples and music samples to use at my own accord. I used many different plugins as the all do different things (mimic different instruments/sounds)
MIDI Keyboard Instruments
‘MIDI Keyboard Instruments allow for inputs through usb for the MIDI interface.’
‘In the MIDI protocol used in each of these midi controllers, an encoding scheme is used to map a MIDI value to a specific instrument sample’
I could use one of these so it’s easier to input instruments sounds. This would also make the process a lot easier and faster. Many different styles could be used for video game music since there is a large range of different instruments that are available.
AUDIO SAMPLING
File Size Constraints  - Bit-depth
‘Bit Depth is the amount of bits of information in a single sample, the higher the bit rate the larger the file size.’
‘Bit depth affects file size. All other things being equal, a 32-bit file is twice the size of a 16-bit file, and an 8-bit file half the size of a 16-bit one.’
I would have to balance the amount of bits per sample so the file size isn’t too big. Or too small as the quality would suffer. The bit depth would have to be measured as we don’t want a final pieces result being decided by the quality that was altered by the bit depth.
File Size Constraints  - Sample Rate
‘The Sample Rate is the number of times an analogue signal is measured per second’
‘Sample rate is the number of samples of audio carried per second, measured in Hz or kHz’
I would have to use the correct sample rate for the correct storage device as some have different sample rates. If not the quality could be worse on some storage devices.